WHY BE A "TERP" AT USG?
LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION
Students living in Montgomery County can earn their UMD degree in their backyard at the USG campus.
- average class size is about 30 students.
- more opportunity to ask and answer questions in class.
- offers students ease of accessibility to faculty and therefore, strong letters of recommendation.
- UMD, Biological Sciences Program at USG follows the same curricula and teaching standards as the main campus (College Park).
CAREER & INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Students in our program are encouraged to participate in research-based and/or clinical internships during their time at USG and are able to take advantage of the diversity of research facilities in montgomery county area, including but not limited to the National Institutes of Health and the Institute for Bioscience and Biotechnology Research (IBBR). Students can earn up to six course credits for participating in a clinical or research-based internship.
- Students are eligible for scholarships from UMD as well as those specific to the Shady Grove campus.
- Most students filling out scholarship applications are awarded some money each semester.
- During the 2016 - 2017 academic year, 1.5 million dollars was given out to deserving students.
- Students are awarded a University of Maryland, College Park Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences. Students from the USG campus attend graduation at College Park along with all other UMD students.
- Also, USG hosts a Graduation Celebration which is held at the Rockville campus.
NEW STEM BUILDING
- A $162 million dollar Biomedical Sciences & Engineering Education Facility will open in 2019.
- Biological Sciences Program will move from building II into this 220,000 square foot building.
- Students can utilize the Center for Academic Success (CAS), for on-site writing assistance and tutoring.
- CAS also offers workshops on:
- time management, learning and study strategies
- guided study sessions, academic coaching and more
The Priddy Library is a gem located in building III. The space offers comfortable seating with abundant natural light and plenty of study spaces. There are large study areas with ports for laptops and other electronic equipment, study rooms and a study lounge. Study rooms include wall mounted monitors for sharing information & connector cables and adaptors. The library offers many other resources:
- Night Owls – open 10 pm - 3 am and free coffee
- Citation Tools
- Mini copy center with Mediascape and Bookeye scanners.
Smart Enabled Classroom
- Ceiling mounted data projectors with a remote, workstation PC for the instructor, network access, and up to date audiovisual equipment.
- Fully equipped workstations for every student or attendee with network access and workstation PC for the instructor.
ITV/IVN Remote Style Classroom
- Remote classrooms that literally put you into a class in real-time at another satellite location.
GREEN GROVE CAFÉ AND THE CORNER BISTRO
- Students studying at the Universities at Shady Grove have access to farm-to-fork food at the Green Grove Café.
- The Corner Bistro is a great place to hang out with friends, grab a coffee and snack. For non-coffee drinkers there is the option of having a smoothie, fresh fruit juices, teas and hot cocoa.
- On-site campus recreation center complete with lockers and shower rooms, a game room with ping-pong and foosball as well as group classes offered.
- If you’re looking for outdoor activities try the soccer field or outdoor sand volleyball court.