The Universities at Shady Grove (USG) has resumed on-campus operations, with some modifications for the fall semester. In a continued effort to protect the health and safety of students, faculty, and staff, COVID-19 vaccines are required for anyone returning for in-person activities this fall, unless an exception has been granted. Face masks are required in indoor public spaces on campus. For additional details on public health protocols, please visit the USG Onward web page.
About the Biomedical Sciences and Engineering (BSE) Education Facility
The BSE is the fourth building on the Universities at Shady Grove (USG) campus. Completed in November 2019, the addition of the BSE enables USG and its university partners to set a new standard in delivering high-quality, higher education — baccalaureate, professional, and advanced graduate degrees — to directly meet the region’s economic and workforce development needs.
The BSE has been thoughtfully designed to prepare students in real-world settings for some of today’s most sought-after careers in our region’s fastest growing industries. Programs in this building — including healthcare, biosciences, engineering, and computational science disciplines — will serve thousands of students from USG, and create the capacity to double the size of the current student body.
Students who learn in the BSE’s specialized labs, maker spaces, and classrooms will be the same individuals who staff the professional labs, research centers, and medical facilities of this region for years to come. The BSE seamlessly blends high-tech features with biophilic and sustainable design to give visitors a unique and exciting environment to learn, work, and discover.
Key Features of the BSE
The BSE is a six-level, 220,000 square-foot building and one of the most sustainably-sourced laboratory buildings in the region, earning a LEED Platinum certification by the U.S. Green Building Council. The building houses various academic offices and student services, as well as 20 fully-equipped teaching laboratories, two 120+ seat lecture halls, 12 active learning classrooms, clinical training facilities — including a state-of-the-art dental health facility with 20 dental chairs and four surgical offices, a product design laboratory and maker space for student research and an entrepreneurship lab.
Academic Programs Residing in the BSE
Maryland’s premier research and teaching universities, University of Maryland, College Park; University of Maryland, Baltimore; and UMBC; will be the first to offer undergraduate and graduate degrees utilizing the BSE facilities.
- B.S. in Translational Life Science Technology*
- B.S. in Translational Life Science Technology - Bioinformatics*
- B.S. in Computer Science - Data Science*
- B.S. in Computer Science - Cybersecurity*
- M.P.S. in Biotechnology*
- M.P.S. in Cybersecurity*
- M.P.S. in Technical Management*
- M.P.S. in Data Science*
- Patient Care Facility and Advanced Education Program in General Dentistry
- B.S./M.S. Dual Degree Clinical Dental Hygiene Leader*
- Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Oral Health Science*
- B.S. in in Biological Sciences*
- B.S. in Information Science*
- B.S. in Embedded Systems & Internet of Things*
- B.S. in Biocomputational Engineering*
- B.S. in Agricultural Science and Technology
- M.Ed. in Teacher Leadership: Special Studies in STEM Education*
* Currently Enrolling Students
Awards Received for the BSE
Since the BSE has been built, it has been recognized in prominent publications, and has received awards for its spectacular features and design. These publications and awards include the following:
- DC/MD NAIOP Awards - Award of Excellence - Best Institutional Building (Awarded October 14, 2021)
- IIDA Best of the Best (BOB) Awards - Georgia Chapter - Best of Education (Awarded May 9, 2021)
- Architecture DC Magazine - Cover Story (Winter 2020 Edition)
- USGBC National Capital Region - Judge's Choice Award (Awarded July 22, 2021)