About the Biomedical Sciences and Engineering (BSE) Education Facility
The BSE is the fourth building on the Universities at Shady Grove (USG) campus. Completed in November 2019, the addition of the BSE enables USG and its university partners to set a new standard in delivering high-quality, higher education — baccalaureate, professional, and advanced graduate degrees — to directly meet the region’s economic and workforce development needs.
The BSE has been thoughtfully designed to prepare students in real-world settings for some of today’s most sought-after careers in our region’s fastest growing industries. Programs in this building — including healthcare, biosciences, engineering, and computational science disciplines — will serve thousands of students from USG, and create the capacity to double the size of the current student body.
Students who learn in the BSE’s specialized labs, maker spaces, and classrooms will be the same individuals who staff the professional labs, research centers, and medical facilities of this region for years to come. The BSE seamlessly blends high-tech features with biophilic and sustainable design to give visitors a unique and exciting environment to learn, work, and discover.
Key Features of the BSE
The BSE is a six-level, 220,000 square-foot building and one of the most sustainably-sourced laboratory buildings in the region, earning a LEED Platinum certification by the U.S. Green Building Council. The building houses various academic offices and student services, as well as 20 fully-equipped teaching laboratories, two 120+ seat lecture halls, 12 active learning classrooms, clinical training facilities — including a state-of-the-art dental health facility with 20 dental chairs and four surgical offices, a product design laboratory and maker space for student research and an entrepreneurship lab.
Academic Programs Residing in the BSE
Maryland’s premier research and teaching universities, Salisbury University; University of Maryland, College Park; University of Maryland, Baltimore; and UMBC; will be the first to offer undergraduate and graduate degrees utilizing the BSE facilities.
- B.F.A. in Art, Graphic Design Track
- B.S. in Exercise Science
- M.S. in Health and Human Performance
- B.S. in Translational Life Science Technology (Bioinformatics track available)
- B.S. in Computer Science (Data Science and Cybersecurity tracks available)
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering
- M.P.S. in Biotechnology
- M.P.S. in Cybersecurity
- M.P.S. in Data Science
- M.P.S. in Technical Management
- B.S./M.S. Dual Degree Clinical Dental Hygiene Leader
- M.S. in Medical Cannabis Science and Therapeutics
- M.S. in Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Oral Health Science
- B.S. in Biocomputational Engineering
- B.S. in in Biological Sciences
- B.S. in Embedded Systems & Internet of Things
- B.S. in Fermentation Science
- B.S. in Information Science
- M.Ed. in Special Studies in STEM Education
Additional STEM Programs Coming Soon!
Awards Received for the BSE
Since the BSE has been built, it has been recognized in prominent publications, and has received awards for its spectacular features and design. These publications and awards include the following:
- DC/MD NAIOP Awards - Award of Excellence - Best Institutional Building (Awarded October 14, 2021)
- AIA Awards - MD Vision Award (an inaugural award) and MD Jury Citation for Institutional Architecture (Awarded September 30, 2021)
- IIDA Best of the Best (BOB) Awards - Georgia Chapter - Best of Education (Awarded May 9, 2021)
- Architecture DC Magazine - Cover Story (Winter 2020 Edition)
- USGBC National Capital Region - Judge's Choice Award (Awarded July 22, 2021)