The Shady Grove Patient Care Facility is currently open on Monday through Thursday from 8:30am-4:00pm by appointment only, and Fridays from 9:00am-1:00pm. Emergency, same day appointments may be available.
About the Shady Grove Patient Care Facility
The University of Maryland School of Dentistry’s (UMSOD) Shady Grove Health and Dental Services Facility offers quality dental care in an educational environment. In this community-based site, dental students provide services under the close supervision of experienced UMSOD faculty dentists. Our providers are leaders in their field and collectively offer extensive knowledge in every facet of oral health care. Our students conduct a thorough evaluation to diagnose each patient’s needs and develop a comprehensive treatment plan before beginning treatment.
Appointment times are specifically reserved for you. If you must make a change to a scheduled appointment, please call to let us know.
Appointments here typically take longer than at private dental practices because dental students often work at a slower pace and faculty dentists frequently check the progress of procedures to ensure high quality care. Many patients choose the site because they believe it is worth spending the extra time in this teaching setting so that they can receive high quality care at significantly lower fees than most private practices. Housed in a state-of-the-art building, our patient care facility offers the latest in dental technology.
Please be aware that treatment may be discontinued for patients who fail to show for two appointments, come late or cancel several appointments. If it is necessary to change a scheduled appointment, please notify us at least 48 hours in advance.
BECOMING A NEW PATIENT (PATIENT ADMISSIONS)
- You will be asked to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment in order to complete all necessary forms.
- We are not charging a deposit at this time.
- The patient admissions appointment will include a detailed medical and dental history, basic exam, and any necessary diagnostic X-rays.
- Information gathered at the admissions appointment will be used to determine which program can best provide your dental care. Assessment, not admissions—change throughout
Please bring the following to your first appointment:
- Photo identification as well as any dental and/or medical insurance information
- List of current medications and dosages
- Payment by cash, check, MasterCard, Visa, Discover credit or debit card
Children must not be left unattended in the clinic reception area and will not be permitted in clinical areas for their own safety and the safety of our patients. If you choose to bring children, please make certain that they have adequate supervision.
The Shady Grove patient care facility offers comprehensive dental care, including:
- Limited and comprehensive care
- Crown and bridge
- Anterior root canals (case by case)
- Simple and surgical extractions
- Dentures and partials
We do not currently offer:
- Bicuspid and molar root canals
- Wisdom teeth extraction
FEES AND INSURANCE
The Shady Grove patient care facility has a fee structure that is designed to be generally less than fees charged in private practice settings in our area because treatment is provided by students training to be dentists and dental hygienists. All treatment is provided under the direct supervision of faculty members who are licensed as a dentist or dental hygienist.
We accept all insurances, and participate with the following Commercial Dental Plans: CareFirst BCBS, Delta Dental, United Concordia. We currently participate with Avesis and DentaQuest under MD Medicaid. Please speak with a front desk team member regarding any questions you may have.
Directions and Parking
Parking is $3 per hour in Lot 2 which is located directly in front of the building. If this lot is full you can park at either the Traville Gateway Garage or Shady Grove Garage at the same rate. No validation will be provided. View map of the campus.