The Universities at Shady Grove (USG) has resumed on-campus operations, with some modifications for the fall semester. In a continued effort to protect the health and safety of students, faculty, and staff, COVID-19 vaccines are required for anyone returning for in-person activities this fall, unless an exception has been granted. Face masks are required in indoor public spaces on campus. For additional details on public health protocols, please visit the USG Onward web page.
- Counseling Services
- Other than non-emergency walk-in appointments, the Center for Counseling and Consultation is providing its full slate of services Mondays-Tuesdays, 10am - 7pm, and Wednesdays-Thursdays 9am - 7pm. The Center will provide virtual appointments only on Fridays, 9am - 2pm. We will not be physically open on campus, and we will not be able to provide emergency services on that day. Our counseling services include:
- Given the nature of the counseling process, it's best for neither counselor nor client to be masked during the session. Since there currently is a mask mandate in Montgomery County and at USG, the Center encourages all individuals to schedule virtual appointments with their counselor. We also strongly recommend that unvaccinated individuals schedule virtual appointments. Virtual appointments, other than Intakes, may be conducted either through Zoom or by phone, unless the counselor believes video sessions are needed. The Center has two private on-campus offices available, away from the Center's suite, for use by students who are unable to find privacy elsewhere. We will, however, be conducting some in-person sessions (for emergencies and other clients who need in-person attention). If you feel that you need to be seen in-person, please let your counselor or the Receptionist know.
- For those wishing to use a private campus space for a virtual counseling session, you will need to bring your own device (e.g., laptop, iPad, phone), as no device will be provided.
- If you are interested in making an Intake (initial session) appointment, please call the Front Desk at 301-738-6273 or request an appointment online. Intake sessions must be conducted through videoconference (Zoom). We cannot conduct an Intake over the phone or in person wearing masks, as we need to obtain as much information about you as we can to make an accurate assessment of your issues. If you cannot engage in the Intake through Zoom, we will provide you with referrals in the community, if you wish.
- Appointment hours will be Monday - Tuesday, 10am-7pm, Wednesday - Thursday, 9am-7pm, and Fridays (virtual only) 9am-2pm. If you are unable to schedule a session with your counselor during these hours, let us know, and we'll attempt to find a workable day/time.
- CCC staff will not be available for emergency services on Fridays. Please check our "Need Help Now" page (see link below) page for alternative resources.
- Due to licensing restrictions on our counselors, in most cases the Center cannot provide virtual counseling sessions unless you are physically located in the State of Maryland at the time of the session. The Center does have one counselor who also is licensed in Virginia and can provide services to clients located in that State at the time of the session.
- Need to manage stress in these difficult times? The CCC's Mindfulness Skills for Successful Living workshop series begins another round on Zoom on September 22nd. Facilitated by Jessica Branch, LCPC, the four-session series of workshops, every Wednesday from 12pm to 1pm, are open to all.
- While the mask mandate is in effect, all workshops will be conducted virtually through Zoom. Please register before you attend your first session.
- Other online resources:
- If you need to talk with someone right away about your issues, there are resources available on our "Need Help Now" page:
- CCC COVID-19 Resources webpage:
- Online/Local Resources webpage:
The Center for Counseling and Consultation (CCC) provides comprehensive counseling, psychological, and consultative services to the students, faculty, and staff of the Universities at Shady Grove campus. All services are free and confidential. The Center offers a wide range of programs, including:
- intake services
- individual psychotherapy
- career/major counseling
- couples counseling
- group counseling
- self-enhancement sessions
- "Hey, Grover!" - online Q&A service
- consultation services
- psychoeducational presentations
- crisis management services
Everyone struggles at times, and our hope is that when you see someone in need of assistance, you will reach out to help them get back on track. For those in need, the CCC provides a safe place where they can talk about their concerns and begin to work through them. When you or someone you know would benefit from talking with a friendly and comforting ear, consider the CCC.