USG Operations for Summer/Fall 2021
The Universities at Shady Grove’s (USG) plans to transition students, faculty and staff back to regular campus operations beginning in the summer, using a phased approach. For more details, please read through the USG Campus Operations Framework and Guidelines for Returning to Campus (RTC) document below. Please note that all students, faculty and staff who will be on campus this fall must have a COVID-19 vaccination per the University System of Maryland requirement, unless granted an exception for medical or religious reasons.
Current Health and Safety Protocols
With daily case numbers declining across the state of Maryland and in Montgomery County, many COVID-19 restrictions are currently being lifted. This exciting news means that USG can begin working toward resuming normal campus operations starting in the summer, with a phased approach. For specific details regarding the initial phases of USG's return to campus plan, please read the memo below.
Study Spaces on Campus
Students who would like to come to campus to utilize study space may do so by pre-registering to reserve space using their USG Logon ID. If you do not have your USG Logon ID, you may claim it by following these instructions. Please note that all individuals coming to campus must follow all of USG's health and safety protocols.
Walk-in COVID-19 Testing Clinics
USG has partnered with the Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services to conduct COVID-19 testing on the USG campus every Wednesday from 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on the ground floor of the Biomedical Sciences and Engineering Facility (Building IV).
Classes, Services and Events
- Most courses offered by USG’s nine partner universities at USG are delivered remotely or online at this time. There will be limited instruction on campus, primarily for classes that require the use of specialized laboratories and some additional classes have been approved for limited in-person sessions. Students should consult with their program directors and faculty if they have any questions about courses with in-person or remote instruction.
- All USG student and academic services will continue to be provided remotely. For additional information on specific services, visit these pages:
- Access to campus buildings is restricted to those who are on campus to provide essential services or for the limited classes that have been approved for on-site instruction.
- USG IDs with a valid Spring 2021 sticker are required for those regularly on campus. Anyone who is enrolled in or supporting an on-site course or service will receive an email message with detailed instructions on obtaining a USG ID and/or Spring 2021 validation sticker. The process will include form and photo submission, and notification of how to pick up the ID when it is ready.
- Students, faculty, and staff who are not scheduled to have a regular on-site presence can use obtain their USG ID number from the USG Logon ID Self-Service portal. Faculty or staff who are teaching or supporting an on-site course or service that have not received an email with instructions should consult their program director or administrator. Any students, faculty or staff coming on site for a brief period (i.e. less than 15 minutes, for pick up purposes) should carry an appointment confirmation and valid government issued photo ID.
Additional Support for Students
- To provide students with an additional option for high-speed internet access, the campus’s WiFi network has been extended to the Shady Grove Garage. There will be no parking charges at this time.
- With many students experiencing extreme financial challenges, USG is providing students with the opportunity to apply for emergency assistance support. For more information or to make an appointment visit the Center for Student Engagement and Financial Resources.
USG Staff Requirements for Returning to Work on Campus
- Watch the training video on LinkedIn Learning (if you have never logged in to LinkedIn Learning, go to self-help instructions). After viewing the training video review the Community Responsibility Pledge.
- Testing Requirement - The University System of Maryland (USM) mandate states that "anyone returning in-person to a USM institution must be tested for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to their arrival and must provide university officials confirmation of a negative test result." USG staff are eligible to register for an upcoming University of Maryland, College Park Testing Event.
- Complete the COVID-19 Employee Screening Checklist for symptom tracking/monitoring prior to coming to campus everyday. For more information please visit the HR Return to Work page.