The Priddy Library is continuing to monitor a range of issues associated with the spread of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). We are following the evolving guidance from the USG administration and the University System of Maryland in order to ensure we take all necessary precautions to protect students, faculty, and staff. At the same time, we are working to do everything possible to continue to support the teaching, learning, and research needs of USG faculty and students as best we can. The following provides an overview of the availability of and access to library programs, and services during this time.
- At this time all USG campus buildings, including the library, are closed until at least Sunday, May 31st.
- Hours on subsequent dates are yet to be determined.
- Librarians will be available via email and chat.
Remote reference/research help
Chat will be monitored by librarians 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. Student library assistants will be monitoring chat 7:00 am - 9:00 am and 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Monday - Friday. Questions received outside of those hours will be answered the next business day. Librarians will also be available to answer questions via email and/or via online meeting tools such as Google Hangouts or WebEx.
Accessing electronic resources (journal articles, streaming video, eBooks)
Go to the homepage of the Priddy Library website. Under the search bar, click on the arrow next to the words “FIND ARTICLES.” Select your institution from the drop-down menu, which will take you to the databases provided by your home campus library.
Print Course Reserves
- For faculty: If your students need access to print course reserves, contact your liaison librarian. The library may be able to provide electronic versions of chapters/sections, which you can then distribute to your students. We also recommend considering alternative readings/resources during this time that students can access online, such as articles or eBooks available through your home institution’s library or open educational resources (OER).
- For students: Get in touch with your instructor if you need access to something on print course reserves for your class.
All scheduled workshops for the rest of the spring semester will still be held, but online only. You will need to register for the workshop and then the workshop presenter will email you login information to attend it.
Since the physical library is closed, we will be suspending equipment loans until we reopen. If you already have an item checked out, you can keep it until the library reopens, and you will not accrue fines or fees. If you receive any emails related to fines, fees or billing for equipment you have on loan, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you need to borrow a laptop, contact the USG Office of Information Technology at email@example.com.
Returning Library Materials
Please keep all items at home. Do not return items in any book drop. All loans that weren't considered Lost at the time of the closure have been extended until at least 6/1/20. If you are uncertain what you have on loan, please check the Items Borrowed/Renewals section of My Account. If you receive any emails related to fines, fees or billing for items you have on loan, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requesting Electronic Journals and Book Chapters Through Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
These requests are made through your home institution. The following campuses are still accepting requests for electronic journal articles and book chapters:
- Bowie State University
- Salisbury University
- Towson University
- University of Baltimore
- University of Maryland, Baltimore
- University of Maryland, College Park
- University of Maryland Eastern Shore
- University of Maryland Global Campus
Requests for print materials cannot be fulfilled at this time. Also, please note that due to the uncertainty of the situation, many libraries across the country may be closed or short-staffed. This will negatively affect the libraries’ ability to fulfill electronic journal article and book chapter requests on your behalf. They might take longer than normal or might not be able to be filled at all.