My journey to the Universities at Shady Grove (USG) began after successfully graduating from Seneca Valley High School. Through my research, I came to the conclusion that UMBC would be the best possible choice for me since I wanted to pursue a degree in Psychology and Social Work. I made a decision to attend Montgomery College (MC) to complete my prerequisites and then transfer to UMBC for my final two years. Eventually, I realized that moving to the city or commuting to UMBC for my final two years was not financially feasible for me.
It was during my time at MC that I learned about the opportunities at USG. I met a USG Recruitment Coordinator who explained that I could still be a student at UMBC, but instead of moving or driving to the main campus, I would be able to take the same courses close to my home in Montgomery County.
Attending USG gives me the opportunity to obtain a high-quality education without stressing about my finances. Some of the many reasons I chose USG are:
- USG is located only 15 minutes from where I live.
- Small class sizes make it easier for me to build relationships with my peers and my professors.
- Through the Career & Internship Services Center, I was able to acquire a job in my relevant field.
- Robust student life that gives leadership opportunities.
- Helpful student writing center to improve my writing skills.
After one semester at USG, I was able to play an active role in the community and student life. I became a Student Ambassador and a member of the Peer Advisory Team. I quickly obtained several leadership roles, I am currently the Student Council President, as well as the student representative on the USG Board of Advisors.
After graduation, I hope to use the skills that I learned during my time here and apply it to my profession.