‘Building a Caring Community Through Art’
Artists Who Reside in Maryland are Invited to Submit Artworks by March 11
This spring, the Universities at Shady Grove will host an art exhibition entitled “Building a Caring Community Through Art” and are currently calling for artists from Maryland who are interested in showcasing their works.
To be on display in USG’s Shannon and Michael Priddy Library, the exhibition will showcase the work of artists from throughout Maryland and will run from March 28 through April 28. Artists who are interested in exhibiting their works are invited to submit descriptions and images of their desired submissions, via email, between now and March 11.
Artists interested in participating are asked to submit artwork that reflects on the challenges facing our community, with a focus on cultivating support, care, and healing. The exhibition aims to highlight the relationships that strengthen our community and at helping others enjoy the art that defines us.
The exhibition will be curated by Yuri Stone and Ariana Kaye, members of the curatorial team at Glenstone Museum. It is open to all artists 18 years of age and older, who currently reside in Maryland. All works submitted should be original artworks created in the last five years. Acceptable mediums include all traditional art media (e.g., oil, watercolor, acrylic, pastel, mixed media, gouache, etc.), and sculptures. Artwork should not exceed 58 inches in height, width, or depth. All pieces should be framed, wired, and ready to hang. Small sculptures may also be accepted. No entry fee is required.
- Artists must e-mail descriptions and images of their proposed submissions by completing this entry form. Under ‘Description/Explanation,” describe how the art connects with the theme of “Building a Caring Community.”
- Submit images of all works using jpeg format.
- Please also attach the artist’s resume and a one-paragraph artist statement.
- For the submission of sculptures, provide front, back, and side images.
- The deadline for submissions is March 11, 2024 by 5 p.m. Only accepted artists will be notified.
- Notifications of acceptance will be emailed before March 22, 2024.
Delivery and return of artwork:
- All accepted entries must be the same as the images submitted and must be framed and ready to hang. Works must be shipped to USG’s Priddy Library in reusable cartons and must include a prepaid return shipping level. No peanuts should be used as packing materials. Shipments not conforming to these guidelines will not be accepted.
- Shipments should arrive before 5:00 pm on March 27, 2024. Hand-delivered work will be accepted between Monday, March 25 and Wednesday, March 27, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. each day.
- Artwork can be picked up on May 1 and 2 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Return shipping will be completed by May 15, 2024.
Insurance, Liability and Sales of Artwork:
- The artists must insure artwork at all times. While the Priddy Library will take utmost care to avoid damage to the art pieces, by submitting their work, artists agree that the Priddy Library and the Universities at Shady Grove are not responsible for any damage, theft, loss, or unforeseen circumstances while handling, exhibiting or shipping the works. Insurance is the responsibility of each artist, including shipping insurance.
- Sales: Artists who wish to sell their works should include the price on their entry form and authorize the Priddy Library to place the potential purchaser directly in touch with the artists.
- The library will not sell the art pieces but will provide a list of prices to the public and include the price on the signage of the work.
Interested artists who may have additional questions about the upcoming exhibition at USG may inquire by email at USG-Libraryexhibits@umd.edu.