WHEN A TORNADO WARNING HAS BEEN ISSUED BY THE WEATHER SERVICE
THINGS TO DO:
- Seek a low place with a reinforced structure above your head.
- Avoid exposure to flying debris (window glass and other loose materials are a critical danger).
THINGS TO AVOID:
- Avoid large rooms such as cafeterias, gymnasiums, or auditoriums. These expanses are at risk for catastrophic roof collapse.
- Do not go outside or look outside to check the weather or to watch for approaching weather.
ON THE UNIVERSITIES AT SHADY GROVE:
- Do not stay on top floors of any building. Know your location within your building. In some places, the ground floor is the “top” floor. (i.e. A portion of the Priddy Library is underneath four floors of reinforced concrete. The adjacent portion has only the green roof above it.)
- If you can avoid it, do not shelter anywhere that you can see out of a window.
- Do not use the B-III café, the B-II multi-purpose ballroom, or the B-I auditorium as shelters (they contain too many windows and/or critically vulnerable roofs)
- Seek out interior hallways with no windows, on the lowest floors you can reach.
IF WALKING OUTSIDE:
- Go to the nearest building and proceed to the basement of the building. If there is no basement, go to the lowest level of the building and stay away from windows. USG buildings do not have basements.
IF INSIDE A RESIDENCE:
- Go to the basement, safe room, or any lowest level interior room away from windows.
- Protect yourself from flying debris with a mattress and/or thick blankets, if available.
IF INSIDE A PUBLIC BUILDING:
- If you have a tornado procedure in place for your building, proceed to your identified shelter location quickly and calmly.
- If there is no established shelter location, go to the basement, safe room, or any lowest level interior room in the building. Stay away from windows and protect yourself from flying debris with a mattress and/or thick blanket, if available.
IF INSIDE A CONSTRUCTION TRAILER:
- Abandon it immediately. Even weak tornadoes can cause major damage to trailers.
- Go to the nearest building and proceed to the basement of the building. If there is no basement, go to the lowest level. Stay away from windows.
IF DRIVING A VEHICLE:
- Do not drive into or near a tornado
- Do not attempt to outrun a tornado, they can change direction and speed quickly.
- Go into a building and go to the basement or the lowest level.
- Do not seek shelter under an overpass or underpass
- If no building is available, either get down in your car and cover your head, or abandon your car and seek shelter in a low-lying area such as a ditch or ravine.