The Universities at Shady Grove (USG) is a University System of Maryland (USM) Regional Higher Education Center (RHEC) offering upper level undergraduate and graduate education in Montgomery County, Maryland. Participating USM institutions include: Bowie State University (BSU); Salisbury University (SU); Towson University (TU); University of Baltimore (UB); University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB); University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC); University of Maryland, College Park (UMCP); University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES), and University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC-formerly UMUC).
USG’s mission is “To support and expand pathways to affordable, high-quality public higher education that meet the distinctive needs of the region and are designed to support workforce and economic development in the state; to achieve these goals through partnerships and collaborations with academic, business, public sector and community organizations that promote student success, high academic achievement and professional advancement.”
In support of this mission, the following are USG’s core values:
- Access and Affordability: USG places the highest value on expanding access to higher education services and resources within its service region. It provides affordable high quality degree programs at the baccalaureate and post baccalaureate levels and professional development educational activities using the academic resources of the University System of Maryland.
- Distinctive and Effective Partnerships: USG is an integral and progressive member of the region. Support for regional partnerships is a fundamental value of the USG and a core component of its growth strategy. It works closely with participating universities and community leaders to support its educational mission and to bring well-supported, creative and imaginative curricula that are built and developed through strong and sustained partnerships.
- High Quality Programming and Services: In partnership with the participating universities, USG provides a high quality educational experience (instruction and student services) with a focus that is unique to the region. It values and delivers curricula that offer a well-rounded selection of advanced studies in both general education and in specific fields related to employment opportunities in the region. In addition, it supports a wide range of academic services and educational activities that enhance the experience for all students enrolled in programs offered through the USG.
- Regional/State Capacity Building Focus: USG is devoted to the complementary goals of serving a well-educated population and preparing a well-trained work force in the region. USG’s growth and development are integrally linked to the higher education needs of the region, with particular emphasis given to workforce preparation, economic development and expanding educational access to diverse populations. USG expands degree and curricular offerings and services as these needs are identified in order to best serve the interests of its current and potential students and regional partners.
- Results Oriented: USG achieves superior performance in access, affordability, instruction, and student services. Programs address regional needs. It evaluates input on its performance as a regional higher education center and always searches for ways to make improvements on what matters most to students, faculty and stakeholders.
- A Central Focus on Student Success: Insuring student academic success is the primary goal and priority of USG. Of special importance are the needs and interests of students who transfer to programs offered at USG from community colleges. Its principal goal is to meet and exceed student expectations for a high-quality higher educational experience.
- Sustainability: USG is committed to being a leader in environmental stewardship. As a unique educational community, students, faculty, staff, and administrators take seriously its responsibility to promote and encourage eco-friendly practices as a vital tenet of its campus culture and institutional values. Working with its partner institutions, local schools, and businesses, USG focuses on raising awareness about sustainable practices both on the campus and in the surrounding community.
- Diversity and Inclusion: USG values diversity in all of its forms, fostering a climate grounded in respect, civility and inclusion. Along with its nine academic partners, USG strives to create an educational and social environment that affirms the dignity, value and uniqueness of each person. USG embraces its responsibility to provide a safe and respectful learning and work environment where diversity is celebrated, affirmed and vigorously pursued.