The Center for Student Engagement and Financial Resources has established a number of opportunities for students, staff and faculty to convene, learn, share, and celebrate our wonderful USG Community.
Specific programs are added each semester but below you will find the list of our USG "traditions"
For specific dates and event descriptions be sure to download USG Mobile, read your USG Weekly, and check out the events calendar.
- Welcome Week - Learn more about USG programs, resources and opportunities to get engaged during the first week of classes each semester.
- USGLeads - Half-day leadership symposium held at the beginning of the fall semester dedicated to identifying and developing your leadership skills.
- USGFest and Involvement Fair - Kick off the fall semester with fun, food, games and a Spirit Contest hosted by USG and the many student clubs and organizations on campus.
- Leadership Bistro - Complimentary 3-course meal and networking opportunity for student leaders, by invitation only.
- Conversations with Dr. E - Each semester, USG Executive Director, Dr. Stewart Edelstein, hosts opportunities for students to share their experiences and feedback about the Universities at Shady Grove. RSVP is required due to limited space.
- USG Civic Engagement Events - USG hosts student-driven civic engagement events and service experiences focused on current events and issues. Student groups can contact firstname.lastname@example.org with suggestions and ideas.
- Cultural Tea Time - Each month a USG Community member highlights their perspective and experiences of a different country or culture while attendees enjoy light refreshments.
- Student Leadership & Diversity Learning Series - Each semester students get together to learn about their leadership styles and how the various dimensions of diversity play a role in how they lead and how their leadership is perceived. Contact Iris Schauerman for more info.
- De-Stress Lounge Week - During finals week each semester, USG converts the ping pong room on the second floor of Building III into a relaxing respite. Stress-relieving activities and snacks are available throughout the week.
- International Night - During the spring semester, members of the USG Community come together to celebrate our beautifully diverse community. Countries, cultures, and regions are represented with pride and respect as information, food, music, and dance bring us all together.
- Financial Aid Month - February is Financial Aid Month, and CSEF hosts a variety of activities and resources aimed at increasing financial literacy.
- Student Achievement and Leadership Breakfast - Each year one student per undergraduate program is selected to receive the Academic Achievement Award, and two students across all campuses are selected to receive the Leadership and Service Award. Selected students and their family members are honored at the Student Achievement and Leadership Breakfast. Nominations are made in early February and the event is typically held in mid-April.
- USG Got Talent - Students, staff and faculty show off their talent at this annual event. Singing, dancing, comedy, and unusual talents make this one of our most memorable events.
- Student Appreciation Cookout - At the end of the spring semester, all students are invited to eat, relax, and play yard games at the annual student appreciation cookout.
- Graduate and Professional Student Appreciation Week - The first week of April marks a week devoted to graduate students studying at USG. Swag, activities, and resource outreach are all geared to supporting, encouraging and recognizing the unique challenges that come with the graduate student experience.
- Student Engagement Awards - Every May the Student Engagement Awards are held to recognize student organizations and officers that have gone above and beyond in their efforts to engage the USG community. Students that have completed the USGLeads Leadership Programs are also recognized for their commitment and focus on leadership development.
- Farewell Brunch- Graduating graduate and undergraduate students are invited to brunch where they can spend time with friends, decorate graduation caps, and get tips on life's next steps from USG service centers.
- Graduation Celebration - Graduating Undergraduate students and their families enjoy a special evening alongside USG Community members typically the second Thursday evening in May. In addition to an eloquent student and community keynote, this event is a joyful time to look back at fond memories and achievements at USG.
- Graduation Gala - The second Friday in May, graduating graduate students, families, faculty, and staff are invited for a celebratory evening of food, friends, and inspirational words. During the evening, one Academic and Community Excellence award recipient per program is recognized, and all graduating students are congratulated on this educational milestone.