The Universities at Shady Grove’s (USG) operations are currently modified in a number of ways to protect the health and safety of students, faculty, and staff, given the continued challenges of the COVID-19 global pandemic. At this time, access to campus buildings continues to be restricted and most employees will continue working remotely to provide services. Please visit the USG Onward web page for additional details.
The Center for Student Engagement and Financial Resources has established a number of opportunities for students, staff, and faculty to convene, learn, share, and celebrate our wonderful USG Community.
Specific programs are added each semester but below you will find the list of our USG "traditions"
For specific dates and event descriptions, be sure to download USG Mobile, read your USG Weekly, and check out the events calendar.
- Welcome Week - Learn more about USG programs, resources, and opportunities to get engaged during the first week of classes each semester.
- USGLeads - Half-day leadership symposium held at the beginning of the fall semester dedicated to identifying and developing your leadership skills that launches students into a self-paced development program.
- USGFest and Involvement Fair - Kick off the fall semester with fun, food, games, and a Spirit Contest hosted by USG and the many student clubs and organizations on campus.
- USG Civic Engagement Events - USG hosts student-driven civic engagement events and service experiences focused on current events and issues. Student groups can contact email@example.com with suggestions and ideas.
- Cultural Tea Time - Each month, USG Community members highlight their perspective and experiences of their country or culture while attendees enjoy light refreshments.
- Diversity Learning Series - Each semester, students get together to learn how the various dimensions of diversity play a role in how they lead and how their leadership is perceived. Apply at tinyurl.com/20-21DLS
- De-Stress Week - During finals week each semester, USG converts the ping pong room on the second floor of Building III into a relaxing respite. Stress-relieving activities and snacks are available throughout the week.
- International Night - During the spring semester, members of the USG Community come together to celebrate our beautifully diverse community. Countries, cultures, and regions are represented with pride and respect as information, food, music, and dance bring us all together. Sign up to participate at tinyurl.com/USGInternationalNight
- Academic Achievement and Leadership Awards - Each year one student per undergraduate program is selected to receive the Academic Achievement Award, one student per graduate program is selected to receive the Academic and Community Excellence Award, and two undergraduate students across all campuses are selected to receive the Leadership and Service Award. Selected students are celebrated and honored across the USG Community for their outstanding achievement.
- USG Got Talent - Students, staff, and faculty show off their talent at this annual event. Singing, dancing, comedy, and unusual talents make this one of our most memorable events.
- Student Appreciation Cookout - At the end of the spring semester, all students are invited to eat, relax, and play yard games at the annual student appreciation cookout.
- Graduate and Professional Student Appreciation Week - The first week of April marks a week devoted to graduate students studying at USG. Swag, activities, and resource outreach are all geared to supporting, encouraging, and recognizing the unique challenges that come with the graduate student experience.
- Student Engagement Awards - Every May, the Student Engagement Awards are held to recognize student organizations and officers that have gone above and beyond in their efforts to engage the USG community. Students that have completed the USGLeads Leadership Programs are also recognized for their commitment and focus on leadership development.
- Graduation Celebration - Graduating students and their families enjoy a special evening alongside USG Community members typically the second Thursday evening in May. In addition to an eloquent student and community keynote, this event is a joyful time to look back at fond memories and achievements at USG.