Virtual Resources allows students to access a variety of topics pertaining to professional development. Information regarding job search strategies, resume and cover letter writing, salary information, and more are available here.
Get guidance on how to create a professional resume, including samples and layouts.
- Vault Resume Information - All of Vault's articles relating to resumes
- Riley Guide - Tips for Resumes, CVs and portfolios
- QuintCareers - Resources for Resumes & CVS
- Career OneStop Resume Guide - Sponsored by the US Department of Labor
Cover letters allow you to elaborate on points in your resume and catch the employer's attention. This is your opportunity to show an employer how you can be a great fit for her/his organization.
- Purdue Owl - Cover Letter Writing - This page provides a down-and-dirty guide to writing cover letters. Here you will find brief answers and lists of what you should include in a cover letter, how to order and format such a letter, and what to do before sending it out.
- Vault - Cover Letter Basics & Sample Cover Letters
- Quint Careers Cover Letter Resources for Job Seekers - collection of the best cover letter tools, expert advice, tips, and resources, including articles, tutorials, quizzes, and samples
- The Writing Center: University of Wisconsin-Madison
Having a great resume and cover letter are only the first small steps to finding a job. It is crutial to know what to expect in an interview and how you can make the best impression on the hiring manageer.
- Quint Careers - The Ultimate Guide to Job Interview Preparation
- Vault Sample Interview Questions - Sample general interview questions and how to answer them
- The Riley Guide to Interviewing - information about behavior-basediInterviews, the structure for a30-Second Elevator Pitch, how to navigate a videoconference interview, what are improper interview questions, what to do after the interview
- 10 Steps to Acing the Job Interview - how to answer the most common interview questions and how to ace a phone interview
- The Path to Interviewing Success
Do you know how much you're worth? Research your field/industry, location and skills to get results on salary ranges.
- Salary Guide & Guidance - The Riley Guide
- NACE Salary Calculator
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics
Thank you letters are essential to make a lasting impression with an employer, post-interview.
- Quint Careers - Frequently asked questions about thank you letters
- Monster - Writing a Winning Thank You Letter
- Career Nook - The importance of writing a thank you letter and sample
Internships expand your knowledge base and enhance your professional background. Differentiate your resume from those of your competitors with an internship experience.
- USAJOBS Students and Grads - Federal internship and job openings for students and recent graduates
- DC Internships - Internship programs with government related agencies for those interested in political science, journalism, business, economics, or legal studies. International programs are also available
- Idealist - Non-profit internships and volunteer opportunities
- Simply Hired
- The Shriver Center - UMBC Students
- Aerotek Great staffing agency for those interested in industry careers
- BakosGroup.Com Assists job seekers with career advancement and career change by providing resources such as resume writing, and career management and employment tools.
- Career Magazine Career Magazine provides career resources to foster professional growth as well as services to increase exposure to top employers.
- CareerBliss CareerBliss enables job seekers to choose from over 3.5 million job listings, 4 million salaries and provides over 700,000 company reviews.
- CareerBuilder As one of the biggest job sites, career builder enables job seekers search from over 1.6 million jobs and provides forums on legal questions employees should and shouldn’t ask.
- Career Jet It combines job listings originating from job boards, and recruitment agency websites into one extensive database. Using a fast and straightforward interface, this website saves users the trouble of visiting each site individually. This job search engine encompasses over 90 countries each with separate interfaces, translated into 28 languages.
- CareerOneStop Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, CareerOneStop is your source of career exploration, training programs and job opportunities.
- College Recruiter College Recruiter is the leading niche job board, ideal for recent grads and currently enrolled students of one-, two-, and four-year colleges and universities and graduate schools to find entry-level jobs and internships.
- Europlacement.com Is an online mediation agency for international internships, graduation assignments and traineeships. The goal is to increase mobility, to stimulate innovation and to improve training quality
- Federal Jobs and Internships
- Federaljobs.Net Resources - career center created to help federal government job seekers find and apply for government jobs
- Headhunters Directory.com An online directory of headhunters, recruiters and employment agencies that will help you find the perfect career opportunity.
- Indeed.com This #1 job site is available in more than 50 countries and 28 languages and covers 94% of global GDP. It gives job seekers free access to millions of jobs from thousands of company websites and job boards.
- IMDiversity.com Dedicated to providing career and self-development information to all minorities, specifically African Americans, Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, Latino/Hispanic Americans, Native Americans and women
- Job Finder Advisory Offers online career advice on how to write a resume that sells, changing careers painlessly, and interview tips
- Monster.com Global online employment solution for people seeking jobs and employers looking for great candidates. It provides a full array of job seeking, career management, recruitment and talent management products and services.
- NACElink Affordable access to post jobs to one of the largest networks of college career centers.
- Nationjob.comThey work closely with local, regional and national employers, community leaders, local business associations & organizations, small business employers, executive and management recruiters, and career resources to connect job seekers their desired careers.
- NetTemps.com A leading niche board for IT and Engineering professionals with the goal of helping active and passive IT and engineering candidates find top tech jobs and to assist our clients in hiring top tech candidates.
- NowHiring.comSnagajob helps hourly workers find jobs they love and helps hourly employers find the best people for their jobs. They continually develop innovative tools to help hourly workers and employers simplify their jobs and start living their dreams
- Responsible Outgoing College Students A staffing and recruiting services agency which helps companies find the top college student and recent graduate talent.
- SummerJobs.com An on-line job board that provides employers easy access to a wide, targeted audience of summer job seekers. It provides an easy to use, simple forum where summer employers and job seekers can connect with one another.
- The Employment Guide.com Its affiliates have provided local job and career education opportunities in markets across the nation at no cost to our readership
- USAJOBS Free web-based job board that gives federal job seekers access to thousands of job opportunities across hundreds of federal agencies and organizations, allowing agencies to meet their legal obligation
For more information on Veterans and Special Populations, including how to translate military experience to the private sector and how to request accomadations at work, visit our Veterans & Special Populations page.
Students with Disabilities
- Federal Employement of People with Disabilities
- Career Opportunities for Students With Disabilities (COSD) Helps students with disabilities navigate find meaningful careers as they navigate through their education.
- Human Right's Campaign Coporate Equality Index
- OutForWork.com - A nonprofit dedication to educating, preparing, and empowering LGBT college students and their allies for the workplace
- Out Professionals - Leading gay and lesbian professional networking site
- ProGayJobs.com - First e-Recruitment site dedicated to gays and lesbians to get jobs in gay-friendly companies. The website provides job postings from companies that promote diversity and provide safe and open environments for Gay and Lesbian workers.
Minorities & Women
- Diversity Employers - largest database of equal opportunity employers committed to workplace diversity
- Management Leadership for Tomorrow (MLT)
- USG Networking Quick Guide
- Online Reputation Management for College Grads - In today's digital world, it's important to know what employers might find about you online. Follow this step-by-step guide to manage and protect your online reputation.
- Dice.com -Dice quickly delivers opportunities; insights and connections technology professionals and employers need to move forward
- ZipRecruiter.com - Ziprecruiters helps employers can find quality candidates by posting a job to 100+ leading job boards & social networks with one click.
- U.S. Department of Labor: Bureau of Labor Statistics
- AgencyList.org – a list of the professional creative agencies listed by city and state.