Under the supervision of management, the Lab and Safety Coordinator is responsible for coordinating environmental health and safety (EHS) programs, assisting with various lab program management projects and shared equipment coordination at the Institute for Bioscience & Biotechnology (IBBR). This position serves as the ESSR point-of-contact responsible for the assigned on-campus EHS duties at the IBBR facility, located at 9600 Gudelsky Drive, Rockville, Maryland. The Lab and Safety Coordinator will coordinate with the Department of Environmental Safety & Risk (ESSR) to work with all institutions employing personnel at IBBR to determine how those institution’s safety and health programs should interface with IBBR policies and procedures. The incumbent will report to the IBBR Director of Facilities and Lab Services for direct supervisory oversight and will work closely with the ESSR Associate/Assistant Directors for the ESSR’s major units including Research Safety, Risk Management, Environmental Affairs, and Fire Marshal. There may be a simultaneous functional reporting relationship to the ESSR Executive Director or designee for ESSR work duties.
Education: B.S. degree in safety engineering, industrial hygiene, chemistry or related field.
Experience: Minimum of 5 years’ working experience in a biotechnology/chemistry laboratory environment with documented experience developing and/or implementing environmental health and safety programs is required.
A valid Maryland Class C driver’s license or equivalent with fewer than 6 points is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
This position requires diverse knowledge and practical experience in research laboratory environments and the implementation of environmental health and safety programs; understanding of EPA/MDE/OSHA/MOSH and other regulatory agency regulations, policies and guidance.
The individual must have:
- Ability to effectively work with numerous stakeholders including regulatory agencies, in a multiple-level reporting structure, and at all levels of the university organization.
- Strong technical background in lab practices and the implementation of environmental health and safety compliance programs.
- Strong working knowledge of current environmental and occupational safety regulations and management practices.
- Ability to effectively prioritize programs, goals and efforts.
- Ability to work independently with minimal oversight.
- Strong verbal and writing skills, including the preparation of complex technical documents for non-technical personnel.
- Ability to collect and analyze data to evaluate risk and compliance with applicable regulations and standards of practice.
- Ability to research new issues and effectively/accurately develop positions, policies and procedures to facilitate compliance with regulations and established protocols.
- MS degree preferred
- Professional certification in safety engineering, industrial hygiene and/or hazardous materials management (i.e. CSP, CIH, CHMM).
- Experience developing and managing environmental health and safety programs in teaching and laboratory facilities.
- Experience in emergency response and the investigation of emergencies and incidents.
Must be able to work in, on, around, over and under fixed equipment and machinery; to work in confined spaces; to be exposed to extremes of temperature and weather; may be required to work at great heights and on ladders up to 35 feet. Must have the ability to stand and walk up to 8 hours per day and to lift and carry up to 30 lbs on a regular basis and 50 pounds occasionally. Must be able to wear and work in personal protective equipment. This position is considered Essential, subject to a 24 hour day, 365 day/year span of operation.
This position will be physically located at the IBBR Facility in Rockville, MD.
BEST CONSIDERATION DATE
HOW TO APPLY
Please visit https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/82271