The Special Education Program in the Department of Counseling, Higher Education, and Special Education, College of Education is excited to announce its ‘Outreach’ Master of Education (M.Ed.) Specialty Program in Autism Spectrum Disorders and Related Developmental Delays and Disabilities.
This 30-credit hour M.Ed. is designed for professionals interested in increasing their skills and expanding their knowledge to better serve the increasing number of students with ASD and those students with related developmental disabilities. The program offers graduates:
- Knowledge and skills in the core & associated characteristics of individuals with ASD and Related Developmental Delays and Disabilities
- Opportunities to use evidence-based methods and practices to increase academic, behavior, and self-determination in students with ASD and students with Related Developmental Delays and Disabilities.
- Knowledge about Social-Communication Challenges and Use of Strategies for students with ASD or others requiring alternative & augmentative communication (AAC) systems for persons with complex communication needs.
- Skills to increase behavior and classroom management to support students with ASD and Related Developmental Delays and Disabilities
- Experienced faculty committed to your success
This M.Ed. Specialty Program (30 credit hours) is taken part-time with early evening courses taken over 3 years to accommodate working professionals. The course sequence contains some Face-2-Face courses, a few in a blended format, and a few delivered all on-line. The program is designed for professionals with the following backgrounds:
Certified Special Educators who graduated from UMD system programs
Certified special educators who graduated from other programs
Certified early childhood, elementary, or secondary general educators from UMD system programs*
Certified early childhood, elementary, or secondary general educators from other programs*
Allied professions such as occupational therapy, physical therapy, psychology, speech-language pathology, or social work.
*Please note: In the State of Maryland, teachers with initial certification in a general education area can take the Special Education PRAXIS II test 0354/5354 (www.ets.org) to obtain special education certification through the Maryland State Department of Education, Division of Certification and Accreditation. For more information, visit MSDE’s website.
Applications should be submitted no later than May 11, 2021. We expect this to be a competitive process and there will be a limited number of scholars admitted. Decisions will be made on a rolling basis.
Class begins the week of June 1, 2021
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Dr. A. Danehey (firstname.lastname@example.org) AND GO TO: https://education.umd.edu/academics/programs/off-campus/special-education-master-education-med-specialty-program-non
Interested in applying? Go to: https://app.applyyourself.com/AYApplicantLogin/fl_ApplicantConnectLogin.asp?id=umdgrad
Tentative Schedule-10 courses taken across 3 years consecutively
|Year 1||year 2||year 3|
Fall- One course
|Fall-One course||Fall-Two courses|
|Spring- One course||Spring-One course||Spring-One course|
|Summer I & II- One course/Session||Summer I & II-One course/Summer Session|